Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Book 54: The Last of the Mohicans and Book Stats.

Title: The Last of the Mohicans
Author: James Fenimore Cooper (1789-1851)

First Published: 1826
My Edition: Bantam Classic (seen at left)
Pages: 410

Other Works Include: The Spy (1821), The Pioneers (1823), The Prairie (1827), The Pathfinder (1840), The Deerslayer (1841)

My only previous experience with Cooper was in college. In the same class where I was required to read Dicken's Hard Times, we also had to read The Pioneers, which I absolutely hated. I thought it was boring compared to some of the other things we were reading and I hated every moment of it.

But one of my best friends at work, Kyla, absolutely adores this novel. She says it is one of her all-time favorites. We usually share taste in books, so I am going to give this an honest try. I have never seen the movie (which she says is incredibly different anyway), so I will be approaching this with no expectations.

And, if it is complete hell, this is the only Cooper title on the list.

I feel I should also point out that this is one of Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, which feature the character Natty Bumppo. The Pioneers is actually the first, but I barely remember Bumppo anyway. :)

6 comments:

  1. I admit this is one I have no desire to read. Not only does it sound boring, but it sounds so prejudiced. I know that's just a product of the times and all, but still I have a hard time with it. I've heard the last line and it made me gag it was so white-dominant. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the movie. I would be interested to see what you make of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother counts this as one of his very favorite books. That was enough to convince me not to read it...

    Can't wait to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read Mark Twain' essay on Cooper? It's hilarious. Twain sets out the “nineteen rules governing literary art in the domain of romantic fiction,” and exactly how Cooper violated them.

    Full essay: http://etext.virginia.edu/railton/projects/rissetto/offense.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. The movie and the book are quite different--and I'm sorry to say that this is the only case in which I liked the movie a lot better than the book. Twain's essay on Cooper is quite humorous--you should definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the books I have to read in my 1,001 Book challenge and I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Mind you, I am sure it will be more enjoyable than some of the others!

    ReplyDelete