Monday, February 14, 2011

Book 73: Finished.

Well, another reread of this one down. And I liked it much more this time than the last few times I've read it. Maybe it is because I pulled more out of it, and that I focused on some of the smaller details than that whole...tragic love story aspect. Because while that love and tragedy is obviously the focal point, there is a lot of other stuff going on.

I want to talk about my favorite character for a minute, Mercutio. I paid much closer attention to his lines this time around, and I just love his snarky comments. he is obviously a dark and cynical type of person...and I love it. Of course, there is is famous "Queen Mab" speech where he pokes fun at Romeo's obsession with love (this is only the first part since the speech is rather long);

"O, then I see Queen Mab hath been with you. . . .
She is the fairies’ midwife, and she comes
In shape no bigger than an agate stone
On the forefinger of an alderman,
Drawn with a team of little atomi
Athwart men’s noses as they lie asleep," (I.iv).

There is also the scene where poor Mercutio meets his end and is angry with the world for what happens;

"A plague o' both your houses!" (III.i).

I just love the passion and anger...and the spite. Mercutio is by far my favorite. I love him. :)

There are tons of other wonderful lines that are infinitely better than the ones most people remember (about the light in the east, and the rose by any other name...you know what I mean). Another favorite is this little gem;

"Then I defy you, stars!" (V. i).

But my favorite part of the entire play is the end. Why? Because it truly captures the nature of the play and the passion that drove the tragedy;

"A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo," (V.iii).

I love that at the end, even with the tragedy of the death of these two young people (plus a few bystanders), that there is a glimmer of hope. Something has been learned from what has happened. And it is a story that truly has stood the test of time (I mean yeah, there's a movie out with lawn gnomes that follows the story. Really). So while not my favorite of Shakespeare's plays, it does have a certain quality that makes me respect it for what it does. So if you haven't read it in a while because its not your favorite, give it another try. And pay attention to the smaller details-you might be surprised!

And how funny is this that it happens to be posted on Valentine's Day? Hahaha, TOTALLY didn't plan that!

3 comments:

  1. I don't understand Mercutio at all! I really wish I did!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessss! I love Mercutio and I love the links you quoted here and I LOOOOOVE THE END! Rocketgirl is reading this right now in 9th grade, and I'm excited for her to finish it up so we can talk about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree I love Mercutio as well. I'd love to see someone develop his story in a contemporary fictional tale.

    ReplyDelete