Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Three Musketeers Readalong Sign-ups:

I am pleased to announce the sign-ups for The Three Musketeers readalong for March 2011! I know that I was excited when this title won the showdown against Moby Dick by Herman Melville. And while I am still planning on reading Melville's tome on the white whale, and I am even more excited to pull this wonderful title off my shelf and dive in.

I like Dumas, even though I have only read one of his books (The Count of Monte Cristo). However, his stories, especially this one, are very familiar and accessible.

If you are unfamiliar with the story, here is a summary from Goodreads.com;

"Perhaps the greatest “cloak and sword” story ever written, The Three Musketeers, first published ion 1844, is a tale for all time. Pitting the heroic young d’Artagnan and his noble compatriots, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis against the master of intrigue, Cardinal Richelieu, and the quintessential wicked woman, Lady de Winter, Alexandre Dumas has created an enchanted France of swordplay, schemes and assignations. The era and the characters are based on historical fact, but the glittering romance and fast-paced action spring from a great writer’s incomparable imagination. From the perilous retrieval of the queens gift to her lover in time to foil Rechelieu’s plot to the melodramatic revelation of Lady de Winter’s true identity, The Three Musketeers is the unchallenged archetype for literary romance and a perennial delight for generations of readers."

Like I said, I am VERY excited for this readalong.

Here is the schedule I have planned out. The pages are based on my edition, which is a Bantam Classic paperback. I am sure that the chapters are the same. :)
  • Post 1 will go up on March 15th (Tuesday): Post 1 will be over the first half of the book (the first 316 pages OR chapters 1-29)
  • post 2 will go up on March 31st (Thursday): Post 2 will cover the second half of the book (roughly from page 317 to page 635 OR chapters 30-67)
If there is huge public outcry from the participants on any of these dates, please let me know and we can discuss changing things around.

To participate, all you need to do is comment here saying you're in! Make sure you leave me a link to your blog so I can link you here with your name. I do hope you'll consider. As my current readalong participants will soon be able to tell you, there are wonderful things in store if you complete the readalong!

If you are a participant, the only requirement for completion is to post on or around the posting date. I don't require you to comment on everyone else's posts, but that's the fun part!

So, are you in? If so, comment away! And please consider sending more people this way. The more the merrier.

"All for one, one for all!"

Participants:
InkWorkNow
Whitney
L.L.
Ellen
Bex
Falaise
Tasseled
Bookworm1858
Aimee
Karenlibrarian
Alexandra
FleurFisher (maybe)






16 comments:

  1. I'm in! I used to book blog, but took a long hiatus. Now I'm back with Travelling Diaries, and I'm looking foward to joining my first read-along! I already have the book, too, so my job's easy.

    Thanks for adding me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in too! I have been wanting to read something by Dumas so this is perfect. I'm also debating your Atlas Shrugs Read-Along but I'll have to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally in on this one! It's been on my TBR since the 8th grade - probably been on my TBR longer than anything else. The Story Girl is my blog. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm kind of leery of reading anything in translation right now because i'm just going with the public domain stuff...but i've wanted to read this for years, and i don't think i can pass up.

    i too am happy this one won over "moby dick." it took me months to read "mb" and man, was it painful.

    -- ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely in! I've wanted to read this for a while, but not managed to get up the guts to go for it alone, so readalong sounds perfect!. My blog is An Armchair by the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in Allie for your monthly read alongs.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very tempted to be in but I'm only half way through Tom Jones (Henry Fielding, 18th C fiction, 1000 pages) but I so so so so want to re-read The Three Musketeers because I want to read the rest in the series as well.

    Okay, well, we'll see won't we? Well, I'll be following the conversation anyway as I have read this book before and loved it so I know you all will too.

    I may jump on last minute, even though I have said I would be reading something light and easy next and not another brick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never taken part in a readalong but, as the Three Musketeers is one of my all-time favourites, it is a great excuse both to reread it and to dip my toes into a readalong. Please count me in. My blog is 2606 Books and Counting (http://2606books.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count me in! I have a leather-bound copy of The Three Musketeers, and it's been calling out to me for a while.

    Tasseled blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was also psyched that 3 Musketeers beat out Moby Dick which I have no interest in reading (at least at the moment after hating the two Melville "short" stories I read last year). I'm enjoying Oliver Twist and I'm sure this will be equally pleasurable.

    http://bookworm1858.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in!

    Aimee

    http://content.boomerangbooks.com.au/poisoned-apples-blog/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh I would've loved to join except that I'm on the TBR Dare. But I will await what's up for April.

    Good call on reading Moby Dick in the future because it is amazing. My absolute best read last year. Cannot sing its praises enough. One of the best books I have ever read, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to try and participate as I've had a beautiful hardcover edition of the Pevear translation for about five years and never even opened it! However, I'm still doing the Villette readalong and I don't know if I can handle two 500 page books at the same time -- I'll do my best but I might not post exactly on schedule.

    I recently acquired a copy of Moby-Dick so I would certainly try for a readalong for that book as well -- I've heard great things about it but I'm definitely intimidated by the size and reputations. I think it's another of those books that people just love or hate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea but my March could go one of two ways. Either ridiculously busy and no time for a big book or unemployed and with plenty of time for a big book. So that's a definite maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay I just got my copy of this, can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete