Sunday, March 27, 2011

Weekly Wrap-up for March 27, 2011.

Umm, where did this past week go? I feel as if the weeks keep going by, and now that spring break is 4 school days away, I'm in a bit of shock. Where has the first part of this year gone?

I am still beyond busy. I haven't had a day off in two weeks between teaching and working at the park on the weekends. I am tired and a little grumpy (according to my husband, I am a LOT grumpy). But the extra hours are nice and I am sure that when I get that paycheck from the park I will be a much happier camper. :)

I should also note that since the weather in Michigan decided to skip spring, summer, and fall and go straight back to winter with snow and ice this week, there is little outdoors work to do at the park. So, I am able to grade some papers and read a little bit. I really can't complain too much, can I?

In any case, Thursday is the last day of school for the kids and substitutes, so I will be more than excited to have that day come! I am already making lots of plans for a few days of glorious reading next week. I am going to enjoy my break!

In reading news, I had a fairly successful week. I didn't realize until last Saturday night that my Classics Circuit Tour post was supposed to go up on Monday, so I flew through The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway in a couple of days. I also started teaching The Crucible this week to my sophomores, so I took it home one night and finished the whole thing (it has been a long time since I have read it). I avoided Atlas Shrugged like the plague and decided to start something new-Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

I have been putting off Jane Eyre for a number of reasons-mainly that I was afraid I wouldn't I like it. I read Villette in the fall and adored it, so perhaps you can understand my misgivings. However, with all of the talk about the movie version coming out, as well as more and more reviews being posted, and nagging from other bloggers, I figured it was time to pull it off the shelf and finally open it. I consider myself lucky that I have made it this long without hearing much about the story. The only things I do know is that it is about an orphan, and sooner or later, some guy named Rochester is going to come into play. I am curious to see how it all works and what kind of story I am in for. I am 100 pages in and really loving it (in a different way than Villette). I am hoping to finish it this week.

As for the blogging break, well...I am sure you will see more posts pop up this week. I don't want to be officially back, since I really don't have time to visit and go to other blogs like I used to, but this is a big step in that direction. :)

Happy Reading everyone!

14 comments:

  1. I cannot believe that it is snowing AGAIN up north. Seriously. That's just wild. I hope for your sake that it stops before Spring Break. Just to give you the opportunity to read outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Jane Eyre!!! (Nagging? Harumph.)

    You will love it! And then you will nag (er, encourage) others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine snow right now...:( I think I would cry.
    I'm reading Jane Eyre as well and loving it...it was a little slow at first but seems to be picking up now that Jane is out of that horrible house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got snow too. And its cold again.

    Hate it. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cold hit here again too and I'm practically livid. I realize this is ridiculous as there really isn't a source to be angry at. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're reading Jane Eyre!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you are loving Jane Eyre! It was the first book I remember reading that I didn't want to end. I've actually been a bit afraid to go back to it, out of the fear that I won't like it as much now as when I first read it.

    Here's hoping the snow stops soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've really had to slow down on my reading this week which sucks. I'm counting down until summer when I'll have lots of free reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually grew up quite close to you, in Clinton township, and my mom emailed me about the snow. It really sucks to have snow this late in the spring. I don't miss it but I'm already dreading our Texas summer which is just around the corner -- five or six months of unbearable heat. I'll be envious of the midwest for months, believe me.

    And Jane Eyre is such a treat! I hadn't read it in years and my recent read of Villette (and the movie release, of course) inspired me to check out the audio which I am in love with all over again. It is quite different from Villette. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was afraid of Jane Eyre as well but really, really liked it when I finally read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane Eyre fever is definitely underway! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it. If you liked Villette there's a high probability that you'll also love JE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I juuuust want a reading break. That's it! I don't get a Spring Break at my college, so I'm really missing that right now. I hope you have some wonderful time off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got behind on Jane Eyre! Spring Break ended and it was back to reading Dickens (not to mention three other books). I hope to finish it soon, though. I'm really enjoying it so far. Hope you are as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE Jane Eyre. Do enjoy your spring break. It sounds like life has been running you down lately (which may not be such a bad thing...)

    ReplyDelete